RC-22 was established in order to expand the role of the Sociology of Religion in the International Sociological Association
The Research Committee provides opportunities for personal and institutional contacts between sociologists of religion worldwide; encourages the dissemination of social-scientific knowledge about religion; facilitates and promotes international meetings between sociologists of religion in many countries; assists graduate students in the sociology of religion in broadening their international awareness, and helps under-represented countries use RC-22 resources and facilities.
- Develop and support personal and institutional contacts between sociologists of religion throughout the world.
- Encourage the international dissemination and exchange of information on significant developments in the sociology of religion.
- Promote the development of scientific activities in the sociology of religion world-wide.
- Facilitate and promote international meetings and research in the field of the sociology of religion.
- Pay special attention to the development of the sociology of religion in countries without strong national support for the sub-discipline.