RELIGION AND SOCIETY PhD RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIP
The Religion and Society Research Centre / School of Social Sciences and Psychology at the University of Western Sydney is seeking an excellent candidate to undertake a doctoral project as part of an Australian Research Council funded Future Fellowship.
Dr Cristina Rochaâ€™s Future Fellowship investigates the rise of global Pentecostalism by exploring a Pentecostal transnational religious field between Australia and Brazil. In particular, it aims to investigate the role of Pentecostalism in the social welfare of migrants in Australia.
Broadly speaking, this research intends to contribute significant new knowledge to the ways in which religion is globalised and localised in everyday life, the role of religion in assisting migrants, and the continuing vitality and renewed public role of religion in late modernity.
The doctoral project will be developed by the student and has been conceived to add an important dimension to the Future Fellowship study.
The project will involve an in-depth case study of a Brazilian mega-church in Australia, with fieldwork conducted in Sydney, Melbourne and Brazil.
– Bachelor Honours degree (First Class) and/or a research Master degree in anthropology, sociology or cultural study of contemporary religion. – Be highly motivated to undertake multi-disciplinary research.
– Applicants must also demonstrate a high level of English and Brazilian Portuguese proficiency. International applicants should refer to the following webpage regarding English Language requirements: http://www.uws.edu.au/international/admissions/english_language_requirement – Evidence of Honours/Masters thesis or other publication
What does the scholarship provide?
– The scholarship will provide an index-linked, tax free stipend of $25,392 p.a. for up to 3 years
– $2000 p.a. for project costs and conference travel, as well as $5000 towards three months fieldwork in Brazil in the second year of candidature
– International applicants may apply to have tuition fees waived for up to 3 years.
Need more information?
– Contact the Principal Supervisor Dr Cristina Rocha email@example.com; +61 2 9772 6368 to discuss the project in more detail
– Contact the Research Scholarships Development Officer to discuss the scholarships application process: Ms Tracy Mills: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should submit the Application Form (Section C, and International Student if relevant) including contact details for two (2) academic referees, a covering letter and current CV by email to email@example.com or by mail to Office of Research Services, Locked Bag 1797, Penrith NSW 2751. Applications close AUGUST 15 2014.
Detailed instructions and Application forms are available at http://www.uws.edu.au/research/scholarships
Dr Cristina Rocha
ARC Future Fellow
Religion and Society Research Centre
University of Western Sydney
Editor: Journal of Global Buddhism
Editor: Religion in the Americas series, Brill http://www.uws.edu.au/religion_and_society/people/researchers/dr_cristina_rocha