The 25th Nordic Conference in the Sociology of Religion
17th-19th August 2020, Gothenburg, Sweden
THEME: Religious Organisation(s): Challenges and changes in contemporary society
In today’s globalised and fast changing society, religious organisation and religious organisations face several challenges: Globalization, migration and different secularisation processes, together with political, technological and environmental changes/issues, influence, not only society in general, but also religious organisations and the ways in which religion is practiced and expressed in contemporary society. This situation prompts questions such as:
- · How do religious organisations handle an influx of new members from other parts of the world and at the same time, an increased loss of members who have been there for a long time?
- · How do religious organisations react to new technology such as digital communication instead of face-to-face interaction, and web-broadcasted religious meetings?
- · How do religious groups and organisations handle the late modern individual who has little need of belonging to religious groups, and who is sceptical of religious authority?
- · How can we explain why late modern individuals choose to belong to conservative and fundamentalist religious groups?
These, and other, questions concerning how religion is organised in contemporary society will be addressed at the 25th NCSR conference held in Gothenburg, Sweden 17th-19th August 2020, which includes a pre-conference for doctoral students in the morning of 17th August.
- 15th November 2019 Deadline for submission of session proposals (paper sessions, panels, posters, authors-meets- critics, workshops etc.)
- 15th Mars 2020 Deadline for submission of abstracts for papers (max. 200 words)
Information on abstract format and delivery, programme, registration, venue etc. will be available at the conference website: https://lir.gu.se/forskning/konferenser/the-25th-nordic-conference-in-the-sociology-of-religion
The conference is hosted by Department of Literature, History of Ideas, and Religion, at Gothenburg University.
We look forward to seeing you in Gothenburg,
- · Magdalena Nordin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- · Daniel Enstedt, email@example.com
- · Mia Lövheim, firstname.lastname@example.org
- · Martha Middlemiss Lé Mon, email@example.com