The BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group invites postgraduates to enter the 2013 Peter B. Clarke Memorial Prize.
Essays on any aspect of contemporary religion written from a
sociological perspective are welcome.
The winner of the prize will receive:
– a cheque for Â£100 (sponsored by Taylor & Francis)
– a Â£50 voucher for books from Taylor & Francis (sponsored by Routledge)
– a year’s subscription to the Journal of Contemporary Religion
If the judges decide that there is a runner-up, the second prize is a
cheque for Â£50 (sponsored by Taylor & Francis).
The winner will have the opportunity to publish his/her essay in the
Journal of Contemporary Religion (JCR), subject to the JCRâ€™s normal peer
– Submitting authors must be a member of the BSA/SOCREL to enter.
Application forms are available from the Study Group website:
– Authors should be a currently registered postgraduate student at a
– The essay should be between 5000 and 7000 words, including footnotes
– The essay must not be available in print or electronic form or
submitted for publication elsewhere.
– Submitting authors must follow the JCR style guide, available from:
especial attention to this.
– Electronic submission to Giselle Vincett (firstname.lastname@example.org) with
cover sheet downloaded from the Study Group website.
– The essay should be sole authored, written in English and submitted as
a single MS Word document attachment, including bibliography and cover
sheet. Failure to incorporate the cover sheet will render disqualification.
Deadline: 15th June, 2013. For further information visit